Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

When do you have the time?

When people hear that I have 4 kids and homeschool they always ask "when do you have the time to...?" I can hear my nay-sayers now - "she shouldn't have started a blog, she should be ..." Well, I thought this would be an excellent time to address the issue of my "free time."

Perhaps the biggest reason that I have any time at all "to spare" is that I do not watch tv, listen to music, or participate in most forms of entertainment. In fact, our home is not wired in any way to watch television. We do own a television set which we use to watch movies that we have carefully chosen. BUT, the tv is on a wheeled cart and it lives in the closet! I feel so much freedom having my living room furniture being centered around conversation instead of tv! Please, don't get defensive (yet) if you like tv, I am not attacking the institution itself. I am just saying that we don't watch tv in our home. However, I cannot understand Christians who can watch hours of entertainment which break all forms of biblical commands therein. How much tv would we watch if we turned it off each time we saw one of the Ten Commandments broken, or saw someone brag about divorce, or an abusive spouse, or homosexuality, or abortion, or gossip... the list can go on.

The Bible says to "set your affection on things above" (Colossians 3:2) and to think on things that are "true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good, virtuous, and praiseworthy" (Philippians 4:8). There are other verses about what you place before your eyes, but I would be up all night referencing them all!

So not only do I avoid tv in an attempt to keep my heart guarded, I also do it so that I do not waste my time away when I could be more productive.

Also, I used to write several e-mails a day that all said virtually the same thing - I am now writing just a few. I hope that my friends and fam will visit here often (and leave comments) to see how we are doing. (I am not above bribery! I plan to post a lot of pictures!)

Thirdly, I hope to teach my kids to be technologically savvy, I need to be up-to-date as well! This blog-thing has been a real challenging, learning experience for me! (That is an enormous UNDER statement!)

So, to answer your question about when I have "free time" I say - "I am going to make the most of every day." Really, this blog-thing has only taken time away from my personal e-mails and my reading books (not the Bible, still reading that just as often).

Speaking of reading, I better go get in a few minutes before my eyes start crossing with fatigue.

No comments: