Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Legacy

When I was a teenager a popular question to ask people was "If you were to be stranded on a deserted island with two people, who would you choose?" I can honestly say that my husband, Paul, would be one of those people. For the other, I would choose my Grandpa (on my mother's side). My grandfather went to be with Jesus in February 2002, but not a week passes that I do not think about him! He is so, so precious to me. I can feel tears forming as I struggle to convey these thoughts...

My Grandmother has since followed him to heaven, and more recently their family home as been sold. This is a big deal to me, because he built his home with his own two hands. Many of the items in the home were also built by him. I get physically ill sometimes thinking about all the things that were left behind: bookcases built by grandpa, the workbench where he taught me so many things about craftmanship, a cedar chest that he made. I lament out loud, "Paul, why didn't we go get those bookcases and the chest? Why didn't we take grandma's old sewing machine and table? Why didn't we get...." (The answer is, we were in Florida and we could not make a trip to their home in Pekin, IL)

These are regrettable losses. BUT, there is a bigger loss. My Grandpa was a true man of God. OH - the things he could have taught me if I had just been willing to listen! He loved his precious Bible and no other translation could compare to his King James! I wish I would have asked "why?". He worked hard every day, but never on Sundays, I wish I could have asked him "why?". They never ate "out" at restaurants, I wish I could ask "why?". He didn't like contemporary/pop Christian music, I wish I could ask "why?".

Do you know what is really sad about these above statements? Grandpa tried to talk to me about these things! And, like the willful, foolish child I am, I didn't listen. I was set to argue for using my NIV Bible and I was offended that he did not like my music. I scorned his years and his wisdom. My heart breaks within me for this folly!!!

Are you learning from your elders? Is your church full of grey hair, as mine is? When Paul and I invite young people to church we always get the same answer - "There is no one there my age." What a shame, that we see no value in our elders! All too often we think of them as a burden, or someone to be tolerated. What a shame! Our grandparents, our elders, have a wealth of experience that they would eagerly share with us. Let's make an effort to honor our elders and enjoy their stories and rebukes.

Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD.
Lev 19:32 (KJV)


The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.
Prov 16:31 (KJV)

No comments: