Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

And the testing continues...

My blood testing was put off till tomorrow, so I will have to fast overnight again. After seeing my family Dr today, I have more tests added to be done. Tomorrow I will be tested for: Adrenal problems/cortisol, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Pernicious Anemia/B12 deficiency, and more that I cannot remember...

My thyroid medicine dose was raised about 6 weeks ago and in that time I have been slowly improving (especially the joint pain.) So, I naturally thought that the dose change was the reason... UNTIL yesterday. Paul was gone all day and I had SO many things on my to-do list (I am still doing laundry from his family's weekend visit!). Anyway, at the end of the night I could not walk because the pain in my knees and ankles was so severe! And, it wasn't even noon before I couldn't use my hands and my finger joints were swollen to the size of quarters. Here is my conclusion - Paul pampers me, and as a result I can function. BUT, when he is gone and my individual work load increases, I get very sore! I am very disappointed to discover this, because Paul is talking about getting another secular job very soon. How will I function? I honestly don't know.

Please pray for my testing that the results will be accurate and useful. Please pray for me as I try to get my work done without overdoing. Pray for Paul as he picks up so much of my slack!

4 comments:

Nan B said...

Bethany oh Bethany,I know how you feel!
I had half of my thyroid and parathyroids removed due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I did find however, that most doctors,even endo's, do not know of the more recent studies of how low the TSH levels need to be to treat the symptoms. The ACE says it should be 0.3 at the low end, while most docs think it should be 3 or higher!
When I showed the literature to my doc (she sweara by SYNTHROID, she agrred to try getting myTSH lower. I really do feel better when it is below 1.0.
But, let me suggest this......get a sleep apnea study done. Since I did that, and started CPAP therapy 2 months ago, my energy level has zoomed, my constant joint pain has decreased (except when I really overdo) and I feel really good! I was having more than 79 episodes per hr, and sometimes would stop breathing more than a minute,and my oxygen levels would fall to 59 %. No wonder I have heart problems and extreme fatigue!
Hope this helps,keep me informed of your progress.
Nan B
rabbit12@sbcglobal.net

Bethany W. said...

Nan,

Anytime that my TSH gets below 1 my doctors lower my synthroid dose again. That is really too bad, becuase I feel best when my score is near 0. One time, while the doctor was readjusting my dose I had a score of 200! No one knows how I was even alive and functioning! It was ONLY by the grace of God that I made it through that time! Did I mention that I am looking for a new doctor!? I know, I know - mistakes happen. I need to have as much grace with others as God has given to me!

Bethany

Nan B said...

Print out the ACE(American College of Endocrinologists) recommended guidelines and take them along to your doc. Have you been to ABOUT.COM/THYROID? They have tons of info including links to the ACE stuff. I think if you stress how much better you feel when the TSH is lower than 1.0 they may listen. At least I pray they do.
Nan

Bethany W. said...

Thanks, Nan, for your advice. I need to look into the sleep apnea too, when Baby is finished nursing. One of these days...