Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Lessons learned at the Dentist

If you have less than 3 kids than you may not know that with each child you have your teeth get a little weaker. I have been anemic with each pregnancy, and as a result, my teeth have grown weak. Some have broken/crumbled in the past 2 years. (I now take vitamins and supplements, but I never knew before what a difference they made!).

Anyway, I had to get 2 crowns this past week. I sat in the chair for 2 and a half hours, and all I left with was temporaries that look far worse than the original condition of my teeth! But, this story is going somewhere - stay with me... (Stay on task, Beth, stay on task...)

First I need to explain that I am nervous each and every time I go to the dentist! (Because one time 7 years ago I had a panic attack as a reaction to the anesthetic, it wasn't pretty). The minute I sit in the chair I start entreating God for help. I mentally sing every song, hymn, Psalter I can that is God honoring and God-focused. This practice calms me. Well, the dentist kept telling me, "You are so patient!" And, "I wish I was as patient as you are." I kept thinking to myself, if she only knew!... only knew that I am terrified I may go nuts at any moment, only knew that I cried on the drive down, only knew that I got terribly upset when someone spilled a cup at breakfast. And, then I thought to myself, "This is how I should be at home! I should pray and sing to myself and beg God for help every moment of the day!"

If God answers my prayer begging for peace in a dentists' chair, how much more will he grant me peace with my kids!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

This is something that I need help in.....and have been trying hard to remedy. These past two weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind, and I haven't spent that time calling on the Lord for patience, kindness, goodness, etc. And you can tell! But when I was calling out to Him, our home was so peacful! Why is it so hard to continue in the good fight? Ugh! But non the less, I persevere. My hubby is attending the Puritan Family conference this weekend, and I went to one of the talks last night. Wow. The amount of time the Puritans went into thinking on some of these subjects (marraige, family worship, etc,) is amazing. And it seems I have time to think while I scramble an egg. I assure you I don't come out with amazing thoughts! Ha, ha. I guess that is why the writers were men...I am assuming that their wives had similar situations as I (probably much harder actually).

I have not listened to the sermon about modesty yet. Although the author of "The Public Undressing of America" (I think that is the title) by Jeff Pollard is one of the speakers at the conference this weekend. How neat is that! I just encourage you to keep taking those steps, baby or otherwise :-) Now if I can only be one of those people who find great deals at the store! I am hopefully going to make three maternity skirts today, or in the next couple of days. I'll post pics on my blog when I get them done.

Have a great day!
Kerri