I have discovered that there is one sure benefit to bed rest.... lots of time to read, read, read! This week I read Future Men, by Douglas Wilson. You can find this great book and others at Veritas Press.
As the title suggests, this is a book that challenges parents to think in terms of their young boys being future men. I LOVED this book!
What I LOVE:
- the book is grounded in Scripture!
- draws distinction between gender roles
- like all of his books, it is VERY thorough
- it talks about covenant family
- it covers MANY areas of a young man's struggles (finances, laziness, effeminacy, lust, and more)
- he caused me to change my opinion about boys playing with guns and swords. Paul and I are now eager to let our boys have guns, something I once thought "I will never do that when I have children."
What I did not love, and I thought could be improved:
- he would set forth a bold principle, but not give specific examples. For example, he states that boys need to be educated differently than girls and that homeschool mom's need to be careful to not do everything the same with both genders. Great point!, but what does that look like practically? I have NO IDEA how to homeschool my boys!
Only one criticism from me means the book gets 5 stars! Go order one from the library or order one at VP today.