Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The benefit of bed rest

I have discovered that there is one sure benefit to bed rest.... lots of time to read, read, read! This week I read Future Men, by Douglas Wilson. You can find this great book and others at Veritas Press.

As the title suggests, this is a book that challenges parents to think in terms of their young boys being future men. I LOVED this book!

What I LOVE:
- the book is grounded in Scripture!
- draws distinction between gender roles
- like all of his books, it is VERY thorough
- it talks about covenant family
- it covers MANY areas of a young man's struggles (finances, laziness, effeminacy, lust, and more)
- he caused me to change my opinion about boys playing with guns and swords. Paul and I are now eager to let our boys have guns, something I once thought "I will never do that when I have children."

What I did not love, and I thought could be improved:
- he would set forth a bold principle, but not give specific examples. For example, he states that boys need to be educated differently than girls and that homeschool mom's need to be careful to not do everything the same with both genders. Great point!, but what does that look like practically? I have NO IDEA how to homeschool my boys!

Only one criticism from me means the book gets 5 stars! Go order one from the library or order one at VP today.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I am so glad to hear you are home and recovering. I had a slipped disc way back when, and I litteraly could not move, my Dad had to carry me! It took a while to recover, and I didn't have kiddos at the time. Make sure you take it easy. I know after a few days I got restless and wanted to get up and do something....um if you start thinking it,let me tell you that it's a bad idea :-) I have read a few things from Douglas Wilson and really enjoyed them. I don't think we have the future men book though. Have a great day!
Kerri

Bethany W. said...

Hey, Kerri,

I was restless before we even got to the hospital! I was stuck on the floor from 12:30 till the ambulance came at 4:30. Then, I was in the hospital bed till 9:30. I am ready to move around now and be active!

I am supposed to help Paul's folks bale up hay next week... I don't want to miss out on all the fun! I may have to be content with being the water girl this year and take pictures and draw - that is, if Grandma will watch the kids.

Nancy Wilson has sevral great books too! I love their books about family. They also have a book on biblical courtship.