Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Covenant family

Paul and I consider ourselves to be a covenant family (though we have not baptized our children). We see great value in training our children to love the Lord while they are young. All of our children have known the Gospel since they were in diapers. Please don't think I am bragging, I think all Christians ought to do this... it's just that so many of us don't.

Paul and I always hear things like, "enjoy them while they are young, because once they are teenagers..." These statements make me sad (and a little angry). Why should we license children to dishonor and disobey their parents just because they are in their teens?! Our goal for our family is that they will not rebel when they hit those crucial teen years. Sure, laugh if you want to, everyone else does - but this is what we feel that it means to be a covenant family!

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Prov 22:6 (KJV)

I know that Paul and I are far from perfect, and we are bound to make many mistakes along the way... but we are working and praying for our children, that they will love the Lord from their first breaths and never stray from Him! Our deepest desire is that they will have no recollection of a time when they did not love the Lord!

I am just wondering if all those parents who complain of unruly teens:
1) raised those children to look upon adolescence as a time to "get away with" sinful behavior?
2) had regular family worship?

My husband and I are new to this thinking. Neither of us were raised to think covenantally... Both of us lived debauched lives throughout our teens. Neither of us had family worship. Neither of us was home schooled. Our thinking in the area of family is totally new territory.

Jesus says,
Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Matt 18:3-4 (KJV)
But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.Matt 18:6 (KJV)
Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. Matt 19:14 (KJV)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi! I just came across your blog. I think parents can set their children up for rebellion during the teenage years but I think if children are given a value system from a young age coupled with a strong line of communication with their family a lot of problems can be avoided. It's also possible to rebel but return to your moral roots when you become older. No matter what giving them the foundation you are giving them will last a lifetime.

Bethany W. said...

I completely agree with you, Sarah! And, you mentioned communication - which is so very important! I have seen families with lots of moral do's and don'ts, but it was done in an unloving/unapproachable sort of way - which actually led to rebellion. Thanks for your comment.
Bethany