Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mingling of light and darkness

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
John 8:12 (KJV)

Once a year many Christians cover their light and cloak themselves in darkness.The annual event I speak of is Halloween. Before I go any further let me say that I grew up celebrating Halloween through costumes, parties, and "good, clean fun." When Paul and I first got married I said that I wanted my kids to have a good time, so long as they dressed in non-scary costumes. I have many family and friends that think along these lines. I understand where you are coming from - I used to think just like you. But, now I think that Halloween is a dangerous mingling of light and darkness!

I do not think that Christians who celebrate mean to give any credence to the Devil or evil things. In writing this post, I don't mean to offend anyone - but it will happen anyway. Is it possible that whatever a Christian's intentions are in celebrating Halloween that Satan gets the glory of the event?

The Apostle Paul has a lot to say about mixing good and evil. In the first verse below he is speaking in context of individual gifts given to edify the whole body, and how we ought to behave as a body.
Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Romans 12:9 (KJV)
Also, in his first letter to the Thessalonians he says to
Abstain from all appearance of evil. (5:22 KJV)
If a person was to see your family on Halloween would they know that you are a God-fearing Christian? Or, would you look just like the World?

One of my favorite Bible verses is this:
whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Phil 4:8 (KJV)
That verse is rather a catch all that can be applied to so many areas of one's thought life!

Here's a more lengthy quotation from the Apostle Paul regarding Christians being people of light, and how we ought to have no fellowship with darkness.
Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them. For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.Eph 5:6-11 (KJV - emphasis mine)
I think the above verses do justice in showing that Christians ought not to partake of evil. Now, for this to be a complete logical argument, I must prove that Halloween is evil. I personally, do not have the time to write such an article. But, I offer for your further study and article called The Way of the Heathen: A Brief Survey of Halloween. While I do not necessarily agree with all that Dr. McMahon has to say, it is a very thought provoking article. I chose this article because it is so thorough and because it is so challenging (even to me, and I gave up Halloween years ago).

As always, your comments are welcome. I will post opinions that disagree so long as you are kind in your speech. We are sisters and brothers in Christ, even if we disagree on this issue of Halloween.

One last thing... One of my best friends in high school was heavily involved in witchcraft. Since that time the Lord has saved him and he is truly a new creation. Last year I asked my friend what he thinks of Halloween from his perspective as a former warlock. He told me that he is appalled that Christians are so deceived into thinking that Halloween is just harmless fun. He went on to tell me that children will be born to be sacrificed on October 31st. While your kids are picking out their costume for trick-or-treating there are babies born unknown to the world, for the sole purpose of being sacrificed!

Click here to read More thoughts on Halloween

No comments: