Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

More thoughts on Halloween

During the whole month of October I dread going to Wal-Mart and the grocery store... it seems like every store tries to out-do all the others and go beyond whatever they did last year. When it gets right down to it, I feel like Halloween is a glorification of death and gore! You cannot go down the aisles of the costume/decoration section without agreeing with me!

Sometimes children see things best... (A story, by way of illustration)
Nelson's birthday is on November 1st. The year he turned two Grandpa S. gave me $20 to buy decorations for a party. I went to the Party Tree store to buy a trucks and trains theme. I went to the store the week of Halloween and it was grotesque! There were some exhibits that made me feel physically ill. (Granted, I am more sensitive to gore than most). There were graves and grim reapers and worst of all a man with his head cut off - brains oozing out. The kids were terrified!
Now, up to that point in time we never even mentioned Halloween to the kids - there was no need, but this was a teachable moment. Rebecca asked "Why, Mommy? Why do people want to buy this? Why would they want to take it home?" I spent the next full hour in discourse on Halloween.

Humans, as a whole, fear and dread death - don't want to talk about it, think about it, plan for it... most folks hate funerals. Yet, once a year people glory in death, guts, and gore!

I leave with this verse that distinguishes Jesus from frauds. (And may perhaps help to distinguish Holy-days from pagan holidays!)
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10 (KJV)

4 comments:

Krista said...

I'm so grateful that we have Parent/Teacher conferences Thurs. and Fri. . .I don't have to deal with Halloween! I like to just do harvest stuff anyways :)

Bethany W. said...

Krista,

How is it that you always manage to post a comment just minutes after I put up a new post? You must have secret powers...

I am all for celebrating the harvest and all of God's provisions! But, I am not certain if it needs to be done on Oct. 31st.

Bethany

Dawn said...

Great Halloween post!

Before I got saved Halloween was my all time favorite holiday. Well it was right up there with Christmas of course.
Then I got saved and it all changed...thank God!

Just the other day we were driving around town and in front of Party City is this person dressed as, I guess the grim reaper but even creepier and was advertising something and it honestly chilled me right to the bones and I had to look away. That never has happened before...how weird!

My husband said 'why would anyone want to celebrate death like that, I enjoy living and being happy'....Amen. :-)

My mom is rather shocked that we aren't buying candy for the trick or treaters. She's like 'but it's for the kids'.
Yeah, well, this Christian is not participating in this 'holiday', so they can go to the next house and beg for candy.

You know, on Halloween...all of us should set a time aside and really pray. Our prayers can change things.

Have a safe and blessed weekend!

~Dawn

Bethany W. said...

Dawn,
Thank you for your comments. I am so glad that I am not the only one who gets grossed out by these horrid costumes!
Bethany