Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

One more reason I homeschool

This fall I began doing our school lessons with all my kids in the room (Rebecca 6, Nelson 5, Lydia 3, and occasionally Joshua 1). While we say that Becca is a first grader and Nelson is a Kindergartner, we keep those titles merely for the rest of the world. In reality, they all hear the same lessons every day. They all sit and listen and then I adapt the handwork to their level. (Obviously, Lydia cannot yet write letters).

Anyway, I have been struggling for two years with teaching Rebecca to read. She not only sees things backwards, she hears them backwards. (She will read /c/ /a/ /t/, then say "tac"). I keep going back to the basics with her, thinking that at some point it will "click." Along the way, Nelson learned all the letter sounds (and Lydia knows most). Nelson is already sounding out words. For months now, I was trying to keep him from passing Rebecca. I was buying into the world's philosophy that everyone's education has to look exactly the same or it is "wrong!"

Meanwhile, Paul knew that Nelson was in school with us, but had no idea what he was doing. (It's not that I didn't previously tell him- it is just that he didn't listen, or he forgot) When I told Paul how Nelson is picking up things so quick, Paul insisted that I stop holding Nelson back!

When my husband was in first grade he was held back because he couldn't read, even though he excelled in other fields of study. As a result, he became the class clown, because he was bored with all the review the next year of repeating the same grade. THIS is why I am glad that I homeschool! I can take my kids at their own pace! I can let them excel where they are gifted! And, I can go slower where they are struggling!

I love being a homeschool Mom!

2 comments:

Heather said...

You know, we've been thinking about beginning homeschooling at Christmas break. Your post is very encouraging and validates that our thinking is right on the mark. Thanks!
Heather

Bethany W. said...

Heather,
It is a hard decision, but a good decision!

The thing that has been hardest for me is not seeing "instant gratification!" I have to trust that God will take my years of service to not only teach my chilren to read, write, and add - but to teach them what it looks like to be a Christ-centered Christian in everything we do.

Thank you for your comment, Heather.

Bethany