Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Life on Hold

These past few weeks, I feel like I have been running my life in a holding pattern! Every time that I think something is improving... two steps back. I am referring to my thyroid health (that all-consuming health issue that is my single most severe thorn in the flesh!)

As you know, I started taking Armour natural thyroid (the minimum dose) a few weeks ago. At first, there seemed to be improvements. My cognitive ability was better, my speech improved. But, all the while - my body temperature is dropping. I am not alarmed YET. I have not broken my all-time low yet (95.9 as a wide awake, 3pm temperature). I am still in the mid 96s. So, it could be worse.

The doctor raised my dose from the entry level, one grain, to the next step - two grains a day. I take one before breakfast and one in late afternoon. Still, no positive change. In fact, Rebecca asked me today (when she saw me take some supplements), "Mommy, which one is your new medicine that makes you so tired?" That is how it feels to me too! These past 2-3 weeks have been a terrible challenge! I am always cold, wearing many layers of clothes (while my kids run around in tee shirts! We set the heater up to 66 for me). I am always tired. I cannot wake up in the morning. I try to get up and make Paul's lunch, but that usually makes the situation worse. What happens is this: I force myself to get up at 5:30 or 6 and get Paul's lunch (and oatmeal). Then, I often try to read my Bible after he leaves. I end up feeling hit by a truck before 7! And, I go back to sleep right as the kids are waking! Most mornings they play quietly while I rest/sleep! And, most mornings I do NOT even know when they get up. Their play usually incorporates itself into my dreams. Though, some days I am jump started by some statement like, "Let's play haircut." Or, "let's go feed the dog" (outside). Ugh - I am in sorry shape.

I do a lot of reading on the Stop the Thyroid Madness site. They have so much useful information! They have some testimonials that sound just like me - I am hoping that some day soon I will be a testimonial for Armour as well!

BUT, I cannot, must not, will not put my hope in medicine! My GOD shall supply all my needs! (Phil 4:19) And, my GOD will make His strength perfect in my weakness! I am putting my hope in that!, but my hope is weakening. Each day I sleep a little more. Each day I work a little less. I am NOT lazy! You cannot imagine how hard it if for me to see work go undone! And, I often do work when I am beyond exhaustion. Every night I clean up the house before Paul comes home. Every night I stay up till 11 or 12 to meet him. But, I am weak. I am so very tired.

Please pray for me, I have so many people depending on me.

8 comments:

Azalea Lilac said...

Dear Bethany,
I am very sorry. It is hard when we feel so unable to care for our responsibilities. May God be near to help you and you are in my prayers. Bless your dear children and bless your hard working husband.

Steve and Paula said...

Maybe you can check with Anne Marie over at www.cheeseslve.com
She may have some personal insight.
She has had contact with a dr who helped her raise her body temp rather quickly.
Mine has settled back down again, back to 97.2, but I am still not having a problem with being cold.....not sure why, but I am sluething away!
I know diet plays a huge role. I need to eat more liver and fish eggs than I have been.
Come to think of it, I think I will thaw some rock fish and salmon eggs, and make our favorite fish cakes.
And I need to make some shrimp soup with the fish broth we have.
It contains fish thyroid iodine.
Everything helps.
Journeying with you,
Paula

Ryan and Sandi said...

Praying for you tonight.
Sandi

Steve and Paula said...

Hi Bethany,
Trust this Lords day was wonderful for all of you.

Got a question. Have you ever been tested for Vit. D deficiancy?
If you have one, you can get the hvclo from Dr. Rons. 180 doses (4 months supply) for $25.
Paula

Bethany W. said...

Paula,

Paul and I were just talking about this too! Great minds think alike!

I was tested for vit D deficiency in May. I WAS deficient, and my endocrinologist gave me a prescription for 50,000mg per week! While I was taking that I felt great (not just physically, but mentally, spiritually, everything).

I have not been tested since then, but I will mention it to the Doc for my next set of labs.

I am currently taking 1,000mg/day vit D.

Bethany

Steve and Paula said...

Is it D3?
Just curious, since this is the only type that should be taken, unless you ae taking HVCLO.
I got think on this again, because we have a discussion on this over on the Mothering Board right now.
You should join up on there! The traditional foods section is very good.
Lots of insightful ladies on there.

Bethany W. said...

Paula,
I bought the cheap things at WalMart, and the igredients just say "vitamin D"

I don't know which D was in my prescription I took last may-august.

I will do some research! Thanks!
Bethany

Ruby said...

Oh Bethany! this is probably no comfort to you health wise but you are such an encouragement to read how you are looking to the Lord even in EXTREMELY desperate circumstances. And, dear sister, it is a blessing to me, and makes me snap out of any wrong thinking. So be encouraged, you are a great encouragment.
I have diabetes (type 1), Caeliacs, heart and kidney related damage. I thought I suffered from extreme tiredness!! Nothing like you my dear. These conditions run in my family along with Pernicous Aenemia and Addisons Disease.
"....What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?...."
Let our response be like that of Job. Praise God! He does all things well.