Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Trusting His Providence

I wrote yesterday about how God is Sovereign over everything, even something we think is a big loss. Today, I am writing to remind myself that our Heavenly Father can be trusted.

We called the propane company on Monday. Yesterday the gauge on the tank said 4%, he still had not come. We called the propane man, and he assure us that he will be here sometime today with our 200 gallons. (That will take us to about 40% of our 500 gallon tank).

We turned the heater to 60. We slept in a lot of extra layers. We used every blanket in the house (again.) I should have closed off the doors to the homeschool room last night, but was too cold to think straight. Our school room is now closed off. I would love to cook up a yummy something in the oven for breakfast, but I am out of just about everything (including eggs). I think I am just going to run the oven without any food in it.

I am trusting God's Hand. I am trusting my Heavenly Father.
If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? Luke 11:11-13 (KJV)

I am not saying that God has to do anything for me. Rather I am saying that I can trust God in everything He does. These days God is letting us drink the bitter cup of poor decision making. We are suffering the consequences of years of poor financial decision making.

God is good all of the time. He is good whether I have heat or not. God is good whether I have enough food or not! I am grateful to live in a house at all! There are children all over the world who would happily change places with my kids in a heartbeat. I pray that I will keep a positive attitude during this time. I pray that I will be teaching my kids about God's kindness, even in the midst of hard times.

I can trust my Heavenly Father!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for you and I know that God is truly our provider.

I was wondering if you have looked into any county/state/government program that can provide assistance with food or money for your utilities. Is there availability for subsidzed housing? It seems like there are many difficult decisions to be made.

I know that we are constantly faced with struggles every day. Trust God and know that He is your provider. Let Him provide for you and your family, through programs for assistance.

God knows what He is doing, and I know you are seeking His wisdom! I will continue to pray for your family and for the short and long term plans you will need to make concerning your family's health and finances.

Bethany W. said...

To my anonymous friend,

Thank you for your prayers and concern. Though Paul makes $11.75/ hour, we make too much money to receive much help from the state of MO. We are grateful for the little aid we receive, and feel incredibly indebted to the tax payers that make that aid possible. (A few hundred dollars for food, and WIC. And, minimal insurance for our kids).

This is a hard and humbling question to answer. Because, at the root of it all - I think that Christians should not rely on the government at all. I do not begrudge those who do get government aid, as I just said - we get some ourselves. But, we want to be at a place someday (soon) where we are able to support our own needs.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of debt from foolish past decisions. IF we (meaning my family) had no debt, and IF we "lived off the land" more, then we would not need any government aid. But, that is a long ways off...

My husband recently heard of a job in his field (satellite installation) that pays double his current wage. He is hoping to look into that on a day off, but I am not setting my heart on more money. I am setting my heart on being happy with what we have and accepting the consequences of sinful past decisions.

Bethany