Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Withhold Not Correction

The best biblical parenting book I have come across (so far) is Withhold Not Correction, by Bruce A. Ray.

I want to give one of my readers a new copy of this book. And, I will pay the shipping (so long as you live in the US).

Here is why I love Withhold Not Correction:

1- It's principles are based on Scripture, not pop psychology!

2 - It teaches a parent how to correct a child using Scripture, so you are teaching them why you have to discipline.

3 - It has an appendix with MANY useful verses (itemized) for use when administering correction.

I cannot say enough good things about this book! While I believe that the Bible alone is sufficient for teaching us all things (including correcting children), this book is an excellent tool to stand alongside of the Scriptures.

A friend of Paul's gave us this copy today (no, it was not a Christmas gift), and since we already own it - we thought we would pass it on to one of my faithful readers.

Leave a comment about why you want to read the book, or about how much you love my blog - and I will enter your name in a drawing! And, since I had only one comment on my last giveaway, your odds are pretty good! It pays to support the new blogger with verbal feedback!

The drawing will be next Wednesday, December 31, 2008 (sometime in the evening). Good providence to you.

8 comments:

Nan Baker said...

I get a lot of inspiration from reading your blog. I have been praying for friends who have a 15 year old dtr. who has been giving them a lot of problems recently. They are God loving people and are at wits end with this problem. Even if I don't win, I will recommend this book to them. God Bless,
Nan in Oklahoma

Kerri said...

Oooh, me,me!! I would love that book. Why? Um, spend a day at my house and you will soon find out ! :-) I will also throw in here how much I love your blog. Seriously, it is a pleasure to come to a place where the truth is spoken. It is also encouraging to see the 'walking' out of that truth in all of its reality. It is not always easy to do what is right. My hubby just saw a video on youtube about the pagan origins of Christmas (not sure if it is the same one you have posted) and now he wants us to re-evaluate how we have been celebrating it. Sometimes I think it would be easier to not know the truth. Because once you know it, you are faced with a decision to act on it. But we want the truth. And so we plod on :-) That is why I love your blog!

And here is the site for the instructions on the snowflakes:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-3D-Paper-Snowflake

Have fun making them!

Kerri

Arthur Sido said...

Hey I have eight kids, who needs help more than me?

tami said...

i just found your blog today and i really like it :) funny how you would have a book contest right as i am crying out to the Lord for help in this subject :)

HC said...

Well, Bethany, I think you know how much I love your blog, from my comments on many of your posts! Your blog is always challenging me and making me question "why do we do the things we do" in our household! I love the gentle way you share your convictions and the Biblical applications you give to back them up. I would be happy and honored to receive a book from your recommendation! Although, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with you paying the shipping (remember, I do follow your blog closely!!) If I don't win the book, I guess I will try to see if they have it at the local library yet! Thanks Bethany for thinking of your blog readers!
Heather
P.S. THANKS for the Prince Caspian review!

Dana said...

I just found your blog today, about 2 hours ago and i am still on it. I really liked the way you presented the information about vaccines. i totally agree. I vaccinated all my boys (some of them don't have all of them, though) and then for baby #6, my girl, i did not vaccinate and she has been perfectly healthy (she is now 14 months). I really like your blog and will visit often. I have 6 children, 5 boys and 1 girl and i am pregnant with number 7 so i would love a chance to win the book. thank you for your blog.
Keep on blogging,
Dana in Louisiana

Squirrel T said...

OOPS! I left a comment a few days ago, but I don't see it. Maybe it didn't get to you??

Anyway, I really like your blog, your writing style, and I agree with what you have to say. I've learned a bit, too. You've inspired me to read the book of Acts again and about the Holy Spirit. Also, about headcovering. What would you say if a woman feels God does want her to cover, but her husband says No Way!

I have 6 children and am struggling right now with discipline issues and this book sounds like it would be very helpful! Thanks!
~Terri

Bethany W. said...

Terri/Squirrel T,
I did not get your earlier post. Maybe you hit "preview," I do that more than I would care to admit...

You ask a hard question about head covering! First of all, the Bible says to submit to your husband. Also, in reading I Cor 11, it seems that head covering is largely about showing submission to your Head/Husband.

I am just a lady who loves the Lord, and I am prone to error - but I would encourage you to wait on the covering until the Lord brings your husband to the same conclusion. I have been in that position - and it was gut-wrenching. Yet, I would do it the same way again! If Paul was against head covering still - I would not be doing it!

Bethany