Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Shepherding a Child's Heart


I recently finished re-reading Shepherding a Child's Heart, by Tedd Tripp. This is an excellent book for parents!

The title gives a good indication to the main aim of the book. Tripp encourages parents to make it their business to shepherd the heart of the child to the throne of Jesus Christ.

What I loved about the book:
-It's focus on the life-changing power of Jesus Christ (for both parents and children!)
-His earnest desire is to see parents work with children in such a way that brings them to salvation
-It will not give credence to any pop psychology
-While it does not endorse pop psychology, it does spend a lot of time looking at the reasons for children's' behavior. I was pleased to see a book that includes information about the emotional well-being of a child, without a man-centered "solution"
-It speaks of how and when to use "the rod"
-It speaks of discipline trends that are un-biblical and will not result in saving the child's soul
-It covers the ages of infancy through teenager

I think that every parent ought to read this book. You will be challenged. You will be encouraged.

3 comments:

April said...

This is the third or fourth time I've seen this book recommended (did I spell that right? Oh well...). I will have to add it to my ever-growing list of books to read!

Heather said...

Sounds like a good read, but how on earth do you have time to read. :)

Hugs! Heather

Bethany W. said...

Heather,

I love reading, so I make time for it! I read an average of at least one book per week. I read almost every night before bed, it is the way I settle in the for night. I usually have two books on my nightstand, one fiction and one non-fiction (or, as I like to think of it - one for fun and one for work...). I read Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, while I was reading Shepherding a Child's Heart!

I just love to read!
Bethany