Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Friday, March 13, 2009

The Public Undressing of America

(Reposted July 22, 2009 with disclaimer: I am not your fashion judge. I am not a perfect, sinless woman. You may have differing convictions than I have. What you wear is between you, your spouse, and God. I am just sharing my two cents.)

A friend loaned me her copy of Christian Modesty and The Public Undressing of America, by Jeff Pollard. The book focuses on the modesty (or lack thereof) of one specific garment - the swimming suit. I think that every young lady and her mother ought to read this book!

Jeff Pollard draws from the history and the writings of the fashion industry itself to show that swimming suits are designed to undress the public. The author uses many quotes from original designers, magazines, and catalogs to show you how depraved the fashion industry is.

Here are a few quotes regarding modesty, to peak your interest:
Being drawn to a person's God-given beauty is one thing; having one's eyes directed to another's body by a sensually designed garment is another. (p. 65, emphasis his)

The fashion industry caters to pride, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, not purity and holiness. Its purpose is not covering the body; but sensually packaging or uncovering it. The world does not deny this; why then do so many modern Christians? (p. 65, emphasis his)

At this point some sisters might object, "But I'm not trying to be sexy or tempting to men!" I trust this is the case, However, despite your best intentions, if you don a stretchy, skin-tight suit designed to play up your assets and then expose yourself to the gaze of men, you won't succeed in promoting chastity, no matter how hard you try. Actions speak louder than words; and in this case, Spandex speaks much louder than heart's desire. (p. 68, emphasis his)
I cannot tell you how ashamed I am after reading this book! I am coming up short in words to convey the depth of my emotion after reading Pollard's work! So many Christians think that a one-piece bathing suit is modest... I used to be among that set, but now I blush at the remembrance of my own appearance.
(If you search the internet you can find wholesome swimwear that, though pricey, covers much more of your body. And, many ladies are making their own.)

And, just in case you are new to my blog, I want to make another thing clear - modesty is about more than clothing choices! You can cover from neck to toes and still be immodest if your heart is rebelling at the idea of chastity and purity. Modesty is a heart issue, and it will look different for everyone - it is about trying to live a pure, chaste life because you love the Lord, and you want to honor HIS design for you, not that of the fashion industry! God's design is always best! He is not trying to rob you of a good time! Quite the contrary, Jesus says:
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10 (KJV)
Who are you trying to please? Where are you looking for abundant life? Are you searching among the abundant pleasures of the flesh, or the abundant life offered by our Lord, Jesus Christ?