Welcome

Welcome! This is where it all began. I no longer post on this website and some of the content reflects former convictions and understandings. Some of these posts are hard core on issues that I am softer on these days. I deleted many posts that I feared would lead people into legalism, so if you find a missing hyperlink that may be why. Our family is no longer "quiver full," I no longer wear a headcovering, and I do not wear skirts/dresses exclusively. These days I write at Covered By His Hand.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Big News...

Or, should I say "Little News?" I am expecting another baby! I will give you more specifics when I learn more. Looks like it will be a late fall/early winter baby.

I am feeling well. I will still be tested for Rheumatoid Arthritis and Vitamin D deficiency (Friday, April 24th), but I am having far less joint pain. My sleep schedule is much improved. I am getting up much earlier than I used to. I am NOT as tired as I was just one month ago. Overall, there has been a lot of improvement. I think that God has been at work answering prayers for my healing.

In other news: We still have not gotten the garden planted, it has been so cold, rainy, and windy. The good news is that the weather has been too consistently cold for storms and tornadoes! My schedule that I wrote out for planting, in accordance with the Old Farmer's Almanac, has been obliterated by the weather. Nothing got planted in March. Nothing has been planted in April. And, as for planting certain things on the backside of the moon (that would be a three-day window of April 22-24), well, that is not looking so good either...

Lastly, we are having trouble with snakes (non-venomous, just scary). Yesterday, Becca ran out of our bedroom screaming "SNAKES!" Paul and I said "IN OUR ROOM???!!!" And we found (at that time) two snakes in our window sill - good thing the window was shut!!!

Later, we saw three snakes in the window. There were two blue racers, and one black rat snake. The black rat is the one with the glossy head. The biggest is about 6 feet long!

You can see from this picture that the snakes are getting into the window through the rotted out window casings... they are actually slithering through our walls! I did not panic too much, really, I was ok... afterall, it was in the window, not my actual room. And, hey, it is ever homeschool mom's dream to have such wonderful science lessons at her fingertips, right? Now, if it was mice in the windows (or walls), I would be hyperventilating. Seriously, I have a real phobia of mice. I cannot even look at a picture of one. But, snakes eat mice... actually, the Black Rat Snake constricts them, then eats them - how cool is that?

You can believe that I am a little more upset about the snakes than I let on above. Becca was up crying in the middle of the night because she thinks she heard a snake. I had to sing her to sleep. Even Paul agrees that it is time to move from this house. Sure the rent is next to nothing, but we cannot live like this.

One last update - school is going very well! I am spending an hour every day with Rebecca and Nelson just on reading. They are gaining momentum. And, we are keeping up with all our other subjects well too. It is good to be back into a solid school routine! I teach the kids most days, but Paul helps me a great deal! And, when I am too tired, he takes over.

That is all for today's update. My parents just pulled in the driveway for a visit. I gotta go!

11 comments:

Mama Hen said...

What wonderful news! A new baby is always good news.

Okay, I would have moved yesterday.
EWWWW...

April said...

Congratulations! That's really exciting!

Girl, you are braver than I am just to be anywhere NEAR those snakes. *shivers*

I've been meaning to ask you (maybe you mentioned it and I missed it), how Paul's job search is going? Hope you all are doing well.

Gretchen Magruder said...

Bethany - congrats to you and Paul!! I hope God will provide a wonderful new place for you very soon - - I don't think I'd be able to sleep knowing the snakes are that close!!

(Kerri) said...

Bethany,
Oh, Congratulations, I am sooooo happy for you!!!!!

You can send some of the sankes my way, as we DO have a mouse problem at the moment...ewwww.

And I did not forget about your little something, it is awaiting to be sent out in the mail.....I am really, really bad about getting the mail out when I have to go to the post office in person!! So sorry for the wait.

Blessings,
Kerri

homespun mommy said...

Congratulations Bethany and Paul!

Ashley Weis said...

Congratulations to you!!!!!!! What a blessing!

The Pilgrim Pundit said...

Praise the Lord! Wonderful news and we are thrilled about the baby and your health!
We had a 5 ft corn snake crawl out of the open heater vent in an old farm house we once lived in... It was during family worship and we just happened to have a shovel in the living room (lol), there is a permanent indentation in that old sill around the air vent to this day!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the baby news! I'm so glad for you! I would not want to stay where you live - maybe it's a good thing you haven't started the garden if you might be leaving soon. And that's really good that things are going well with education. It's a hard time of year to build momentum!

Bethany W. said...

All my friends,

An update to the snake problem:
Paul filled the hole in the window with expanding foam insulation. It looks tacky, but it is certainly better than snakes!

We plan to work on the garden all day today. It is warm and windy. I don't imagine that we can actually move anywhere before harvest time.

Thanks for all your comments!
Bethany

Ruby said...

Oh Bethany!
Great news!!!!! Congratulations to you and Paul!
I have been without internet for nearly a week and came this morning to an internet cafe to check emails. I am so glad I took the time to scan my reader (which has heaps of good stuff for me to catch up on at a later date) and here is this news, several days old.
God has really blessed you and it is wonderful to hear of how things are picking up all around.
I am creepy about snakes too! We have heaps here in Aust. Fortunatley we are heading into winter and they are sleepign here.
Bless you all.
I'll write as soon as I am back on the net.
Ruby

Sanil Atarah Rivka said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful. I'm glad that you are feeling better, too.

You are being so calm about the house and snakes...I had a problem with wasps in my apartment earlier this year and it had me in tears...if it was snakes, I'd never come back home. I react the same way to them you do to mice. I hope you are able to move very soon, I will be praying for you, for that and for your health.